As part of our ongoing effort to minister to the children at families in the neighborhoods near Post Road and 42nd Street, we will be hosting a summer program for kids at IPS School 105 with our ministry partners at Crossroads Bible Church. The program will run from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, from June 19 through July 21. Students in grades K through 5 will have the opportunity to improve their math, reading and other academic skills and will learn Bible stories, play games that will help develop their cognitive abilities, and develop much-needed relationships with positive role models.
This is a great opportunity for us to not only help these children gain the skills necessary for them to succeed in school but also to continue to build relationships with families in these neighborhoods. The program will present many opportunities to serve, including:
- Group Leaders – Group leaders will be assigned to a group of approximately 6 students and will lead those students through various stations throughout the day. Students will be divided by age group. Group leaders will not be responsible for teaching the lessons at each station, but instead will focus on supervising and building relationships with the kids in their group.
- Station Leaders – Station leaders are responsible for teaching the lessons to each group in individual stations (i.e. math, reading, Bible, etc.) Each lesson will be prepared in advance and will be ready to teach in an easy to learn, age-appropriate format. Station leaders can teach in the morning session (approximately 9:30 to 11:00), the afternoon session (approximately 12:30 to 2:00), or both. No lesson planning or other advance preparation is necessary.
- Program Assistants – Program Assistants will assist as needed throughout the day, helping with tasks such as preparing snacks, addressing children’s individual needs, helping supervise children in the cafeteria and on the playground, and assisting the Group Leaders and Station Leaders as needed.
- Nursery – One of the ways we are trying to make it easy to volunteer is by providing child care to our volunteers. Nursery volunteers will supervise the children of volunteers serving in the program on sight in the nursery at Crossroads Bible Church.
- Transportation – Van drivers will use the church van to pick-up and drop off a small number of children with transportation needs. All children live in a small radius near the school. Van drivers will be needed from roughly 8:30 to 9:00 a.m. and from 2:00 to 2:30 p.m.
This program will present wonderful opportunities to build and strengthen relationships with children and families who face a number of difficult circumstances. We have already seen how these kids respond to the kind of individual attention a program like this can provide. For this program to be successful, we need lots of volunteers. Please prayerfully consider whether you have some time this summer to serve these kids in one of these capacities.
There will be an information meeting with more details about the program and the many opportunities to volunteer on May 14 during second service in Room 207. If you would like to volunteer or if you have any questions, contact Mike – firstname.lastname@example.org.